It took me a little while to get into the groove with this new series. I have known since Christmas that I wanted to create 3D mixed media pieces-I was inspired by a fun piece I saw decorated with scrapbook papers and embellishments. I just knew when I saw it that I had to create something 3D. I had my father-in-law cut enough wooden pieces for the month, and I hauled them back to Florida with me. Then I just made time each day to make the faces and start on various parts of the angels...and finally, this past weekend I was able to figure out how to work on the pieces...and I finished up the first seven days worth! Yay!
Part of what was holding me back was prep. I had the wood cut- but I needed to sand all of the pieces. Thank goodness for Veve and Ronalson, two of my awesome art students that helped me with sanding. (seriously, THANK YOU!) Then, it was just a mattter of getting my materials organized...it took a little while, but here are some behind the scenes pics of the materials I will be using for the series...all in various shades of red and pink for Valentine's Day of course!
So far my plan is to prep some of the pieces (the wood blocks and beads) ahead of time, for the week with the main color, and then decorate them and embellish them each day along with the angel I create for that day. I think I will work in batches of color by week- the first week was red, this week coming up I will move into shades of pink, and change embellishments as I create.
That's just the initial plan...I might not stick to it! But for now- here are the first seven pieces in my new series!
Artist and Art Teacher